Matthew Harrup's RTW trip

Friday, November 08, 2002

Diwali

Diwali in Delhi - sounds like it should be good. It actually sounded like 6 hours of fireworks, firecrackers and other assorted gunpowder devices going off at close proximity (they even let them off inside the hotel). Not much on the streets, I suppose its really a family thing. No booze - 95% of india seems not to drink. It was OK, worth seeing just about.

I'm currently in Jaipur, and its the filthiest, noisiest, most comission hungry rickshaw/persistently annoying beggers/ slimiest confidence scamsters I have ever seen (and I've been to Eqypt). They call it the pink city -pink is the colour of hospitality over here, but I reckon its more apricot. I'm off to Udaipur (where they filmed Octopussy) tonight, just killing time until the train gets here. I'll be glad to get out of India (14th Nov) - there are only so many "bustling" and "vibrant" (copyright- Lonely Planet guides) cities I can take.