Matthew Harrup's RTW trip

Sunday, November 03, 2002

Taj Mahal

This is awesome. A stonkingly huge marble mausoleum to hold the remains of Muntaz Mahal, the emperor's wife. Five storeys high with a huge onion shaped dome on top - 500 years ago. Just for decoration it has four big minarets, two mosque-like buildings (one is completely usless as it faces away from the holy land- just for symmetry!), gardens, everything.


The same can't be said for the surrounding polluted city, the agravation from the touts is extremely annoying. One guy followed me for half an hour, refusing to take no for an answer. My advice to anyone coming is get on a tour - turn up at the train station, on a coach, see everything, back to the train station. You are not missing anything in the city.
BTW, the wonderful people at blogspot let you put images up here, as long as you pay them 20 quid or so. I'll think about it - I need an internet cafe with a scanner before I can upload images anyway.