Matthew Harrup's RTW trip

Saturday, October 19, 2002

Its started! I arrived in Mumbai at 01.00am today, the 30'C and humidity were a bit of a shock. Its a very busy city, you can't move without being offered a bongo / giant inflatable 1.5m pear (well, its pear shaped, dunno what its supposed to be) / dotted by a holy man.
I'm currently wimping it out in an air conditioned internet cafe. Bombay airport is aparantely used to long haul flights coming in at midnight, they had entire bureaus of 24 hour hotel booking places. Overpriced by several hundred rupees of course, but hey, that's less than a fiver and I wasn't going to argue.
All the tourist destinations seem to be $10 for foreigners, and 10 rupees (15 pence) for indians. Every street corner has fruit juice stands where they freshly squeeze it, hand you a glass to down it and take a whole 15 pence off you (I know, I've tried several!)