Matthew Harrup's RTW trip

Wednesday, February 26, 2003

Purto Madryn

I´m headed down to Puerto Madryn this evening - a mere 19 hour bus ride. Its got millions of penguins, beaches, and welsh villagers. I´m not joking! Seriously, there are Welsh villages there. Either that or my lonely planet is lying. Aparantely there´s also german villages outside Sao Paulo.
There isn´t that much to see in Buenos Aires - caminito, a lively tango-y place, recoletta cemetary, where they buried Evita (eventually - she wasn´t aristocratic enough) and err, lots of old european buildings. Really, really good food - haunches of meet delivered as fast as you can eat it for 2 pounds. And riots as police evict squatters - fortunately, it was only the squatters who were rioting. This has absolutely nothing to do with my decision to get out the city, honest!
I was going to head for lost inca cities, but the problem with inaccessible mountain fortresses that are so remote they escape destruction and looting is that they take a long time (a week by bus? I lost count after 72 hours...) to get to. Inconsiderates. Still, that¨s a good trip in itself - cly to Cusco, go Macchu Pincu, Lake Titiaca, the salt flats and fly out of Sucre. Maybe next time. I´ll instead loop through Barriloche to Santiago, up through Chile and back accross Mendoza. Or I´ll meet someone who has a clue and end up in the antarctic. I don¨t really care!