Matthew Harrup's RTW trip

Thursday, January 30, 2003

Japan

Did I say Hong Kong was exp... oh, I`ve done that one. I`m now in Kyoto, having flown into Osaka. Its freezing cold -1`C out there. I have practically all my nice sunny clothes on at once. Ok,�@ok, I`ve just had 3 months of tropical sun, its about time I got some cold weather.
Kyoto is absolutely full of temples, castles, history, gardens - its quite a nice place. Far more expensive than Osaka, which had a castle and an aquarium. With an obscenely large whale shark. The only other gaijin out here seem to be english teachers. The hotels are really weird - I`ve just about got the hang of the shoes thing -don`t wear your shoes, ever- but the opening times? Restaurants closing at 6.30pm, hotels closing for 6 hour lunches, shops opening 10am including breakfast bars... maybe it`ll make sense in a week or so.
There`s a nice free internet connection at this university, I may be here often!